Joan Parsons Woods, in March 25th, 1923 in St. John’s. Joan lived in Newfoundland until 1936, she then moved to Montreal where she studied art at l’École des Beaux Arts. Joan called many places home before settling in Kingston, Ontario, but a part of her heart was with Newfoundland. What is considered to be the pinnacle of Joan’s career is the collection of 33 sculptures, that was given the title “Newfoundland: A Place Called Home”. These sculptures are inspired by memories of Joans childhood in Newfoundland, telling stories of growing up in our province. It was obvious that this collection belonged together in Newfoundland, therefore the Historic Sites Association of NL bought it in its entirety and was exhibited during the 500th anniversary of John Cabot’s arrival in 1997. The pieces made their tour around Newfoundland, visiting Bonavista, Eastport, Gander, Corner Brook, St. John’s, Grand Bank and Placentia.
Joan Parsons Woods passed away March 11th, 2011, but her memory lives on through her loved ones and her beautiful artwork.