The Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Fairs Program began in 1997 as part of a national initiative to bring history to life for students in Grades 4 to 9. Directly linked to school curricula, Heritage Fairs allows students to showcase their projects, using a variety of mediums. They are presented at school fairs where outstanding projects are selected to attend a regional fair. Regional or provincial fairs are held in every Canadian province and territory each spring. Up to eight regional fairs are held each year in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Since 1997, the Historic Sites Association has been pleased to partner with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Historica, Canada’s History, various cultural organizations and many sponsors and to manage the annual Heritage Fairs program in this province. In the past 17 years:
- over 121,000 NL students have participated in the program
- the program has attracted over 387,000 visitors
- it has involved more than 17,000 volunteers who have enabled the Program to run in up to 8 regions covering the entire province
- students have been awarded thousands of prizes
- 167 students have travelled to many areas of Canada to represent our province at the National Fair (which was discontinued in 2008)
- 5 NL students travelled to Ottawa to attend a National Youth Forum as Young Citizens
- 36 NL students travelled to Europe as a part of the Ambassador Program
Various activities have been developed nationally to recognize outstanding projects from each province. In 1993 the Bronfman Foundation launched a Heritage Fair Program to enhance appreciation for history. In 1999 the program moved to the Historica Foundation. Historica’s mandate was to provide new tools, resources and perspectives to help teachers in their mission to bring history to life. Expert historians, education specialists, business people and students formed the National Council. In 2009 Canada’s History took the lead role in the Heritage Fairs nationally and can be seen online at www.heritagefairs.ca.
For more information about the Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Fair Program please contact:
Provincial Coordinator, NL Heritage Fairs